Topband: Re: Minimum discernible signal ?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Minimum discernible signal ?
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:20:44 +0100

W8JI:
 >My 160 meter noise floor, after pre-
 >amplifiers, on a quiet winter night when the band is open to Europe
 >is about -117 dBm measured at 3.5 kHz bandwidth. With a 350 Hz
 >bandwidth, the "off-the-air noise floor" of my system is -127 dBm.
 >With a 35 Hz filter it is -137 dBm.

S56A:
> I stated long ago that the claims of nV sensitivity for 160m RX is
excessive.
> We can now all see that 20 dB attenuation is optimal on any 160m SSB
>RX.

Hi Mario (S56A),

unluckily we can't agree just that 20db of extra attenuation is optimal.
Average receiver sensitivity is probably unnecessary and S/N remains
good even attenuating 20 dB if the BW and the antenna used are
equivalent to those of the example.
When the antennas are quite marginal in terms of efficiency (like small
wire loops resistively terminated), the receiver ground floor is quite
comparable with signals (and BW can't be reduced), any extra
attenuation have an impact on the S/N.
On the other hand it's true that in most cases very low noise stages
have a reduced dynamic range and this fact should always suggest not to
use antennas with fractional efficiency and thus requiring
extremely "silent" preamplifiers.

73,
Mauri I4JMY