Topband: Pennant antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Pennant antenna
From: k1fz@agate.net (B.A. Clark)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 19:53:39 -0800
k6se@juno.com wrote:

> Hi, Bruce,
>
> You wrote:
>
> "As you know the Pennant antenna needs an amplifier to work properly.
> There are some that are not getting this information."
> ==========
> There are quite a few that have found out (like Glenn, K3SWZ) that a
> preamp is necessary with the Pennant or Flag (or EWE or K9AY).  The gain
> figures in my QST article and my comment there that a preamp should be
> used apparently weren't enough.
>
> Perhaps a "feedback" box in QST to point out the necessity of using a
> preamp would be appropriate?
>
> 73, de Earl, K6SE

Hi Earl,

Thanks for your feedback. I am hoping that all who build Pennant and other
antennas you have listed will know of the amplifier requirement. The KB-5
K1FZ transformer does an excellent job but the overall -23 db antenna,
transformer loss needs to have gain compensation.
Decoupling the coax feed line is also important to reduce un-wanted signal
pick up.  The feedback to QST could help.

73
Bruce