Topband: modeling question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: modeling question
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 07:21:12 -0500
> >By changing height to 100 feet, no other changes, voltage
> >becomes 2576v RMS or 3642 volts peak between the element and
> >boom. Still high for the insulators I see on most antennas.
>
> Thanks, Tom - I was wondering how you could quantify the voltage.
> Sounds fairly safe with a 100-foot tower and 100 watts -- maybe ~900
> volts peak? The Force 12 antennas use PVC pipe with ~1/8" wall as the
> insulation.

My point is the voltage varies all over the place with the electrical
characteristics of the structure. Power can NOT be used to
quantify the problem. (100 watts might be excessive power in some
cases)

With that in mind......every system needs to be modeled to see
what the voltage is, and you need lots of headroom for safety.

Even if you don't manage to burn through the insulator, it can still
carbon track or arc causing distortion and bandwidth problems on
CW or SSB.

IMO it probably isn't worth risking problems since the solution of
using an minimal reactance inductor to ground the element to the
boom is simple, cheap, and fast. Insulated element antennas are
not a good idea on towers used as radiators, or used as
counterpoises (like feeding slopers against the tower) for antennas.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com