Topband: The Iron Mistress

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: The Iron Mistress
From: rmread@attglobal.net (Bob Marshall-Read)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:15:02 +0100
Topbanders,

Sitting in downtown Tel Aviv, 5 yards from the beach on the 17th floor with
a full half wave sloper starting at 60 metres and ending 30 metres off the
ground, this is antenna heaven, but you have to receive!

I put two pennants on the roof after explaining to the head of hotel
security about CEPT after the floor maid discovered my transmit antennas. It
takes a bit of getting used to dense urban noise and hopping from building
to building to rig antennas, but this is TOP BAND!  Did it in LU, so let's
have a go at 4X!

Long story short....Worked W8JI (for a 4 continent parlay on top band) and
VE1ZZ with  my 50 watts to a TenTec 555.

Anyway, this is a great location, but propagation is CRAP!

No sunrise peak (4X4NJ agrees in past postings), S8 to 9 noise, and BC
stations at the Megawatt level!  (Mea Culpa, I built one Rhodes in the 80's)

Forward planning for WPX dictated an E4 license.

OK, got the form and took an afternoon off to get the permit.

Problem.....firefight between 4X and E4 just as I arrive at the MOC....been
in many wars, but mostly at base + 10......So, WPX from E4 problematic as my
XYL and my bank manager insist I survive!.

Next project appears to be from Thailand (home of my USAF Viet Nam War Days)
so may CU from there.

73 de Bob 4X/G4VGO