Topband: AA6TT finally moves to Vermont; 160m 4-square question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: AA6TT finally moves to Vermont; 160m 4-square question
From: Bill@aa6tt.com (William Hein, AA6TT)
Date: 22 Jun 2001 09:45:51 -0700
I finally completed my move from California to Vermont (yesterday!) and am
preparing to start building antennas and get back on Top Band after a five
year hiatus.  I am going to build another 'full size' 160m 4-square in time
for the autumn/winter DX season.

My Colorado 160m 4-square (QRV 1993 thru 1995) employed elevated radials,
was built out of Rohn 45 tower insulated at 10' and was spaced a bit wider
than the traditional 1/4-wave per side spacing.

The Vermont 160m 4-square will be little different.  It will be built from
Rohn 25 tower insulated at ground level, have ground mounted radials and use
standard 1/4-wave spacing.
I am going to use the new Array Solutions 4-square phasing box for command
and control.

QUESTION:  For Topbanders who have used Rohn 25 to build 160m arrays, I am
curious to learn what tower height they found to resonate well at 160m,
given mutual coupling and other effects, and whether or not 'stingers' or
anything else was used to resonate the towers.

Thanks,
Bill AA6TT

William Hein, AA6TT
10 Clarks Road