Topband: RF resistance of wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RF resistance of wire
From: ve3zi@hotmail.com (Roger Parsons)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:42:41 +0000
>how do you test  the loss of 1000 feet of wire ??? John k9dx

I don't know!  The losses are certainly calculable as wires, but measurement
would be extremely difficult. When I was involved with this the stranded
conductors were centre cores of coaxial cables. It was pretty easy to
measure losses in that case. Of course it helped having a cable manufacturer
who was prepared to make lots of lengths of slighly varying cable in
anticipation of lots of future business. I no longer have that luxury, and I
think (know) that I would find differential equations a little more
difficult than I did back then!!!

Just as a thought, I guess one way would be to make an open wire
transmission line and measure the loss on that. But I repeat, on 160m any
wire that will stay in the air will be satisfactory. The same may not be
true for tuned circuits.

73 Roger
VE3ZI