Topband: Trees and losses

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Trees and losses
From: franknorton@home.com (Frank Norton KB8XU)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:21:51 -0400
My family lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for many years.  During
the later '60s the Department of Defense installed a several thousand
square acre ULF array under the vast forest floor up there.  The forest in
the "U.P." consists primarily of soft woods, which are very heavy in sap
content.  As noted by others sap is definitely an electrolyte solution, and
so...an excellent conductor of RF.

So, picture miles and miles of wire buried in the vast amount of
surrounding electrolyte contained in the roots and trees of this soft wood
forest.  It is no wonder they used it for contacting submerged submarines
out of reach of all other communication systems.  Of course it was also
used to communicate with covert ops as well, prior to the availability of
accurate and portable satellite gear.

Friends who still live in the area (and worked on the installation and
maintenance of the array) say that the D.O.D. stopped any noticeable use or
maintenance of the array in the late 1980's.

I sure would like to integrate that into my reception alternatives, how
about you?

73 de Frank kb8xu