Topband: CLC-522 as a Preamp

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CLC-522 as a Preamp
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:04:44 -0500
In a previous post, I professed that +20dbm from a preamp shouldn't be a big
deal.  Somebody responded "so do you have this stuff laying around the
shack?"

I have been examining the National (formerly Com Linear) Variable Gain
Amplifier known as the CLC-522.  It purports to be a 0 - 40 db variable gain
op amp that operates up to 165 mHz of usable bandwidth.  It is a nifty
design and a $6 part.  It has a typical noise floor of -152dbm.  The data
sheet (if you can believe it) shows a -1db compression point (at maximum
gain) of about 18dbm, which should be quite usable on topband.

I have several concerns.  1) The inputs (very high impedance) may be very
sensitive to storm damage when hooked to a flag or pennant, which is my
goal. and 2) I want to try the 14 pin DIP version of the part to make storm
damage easier to repair than the 14 pin SOIC version (surface mount)--is 40
db of gain out of a DIP part either realistic or needed?  (The Pennant has a
gain of -30-35dbi on topband)

Thanks for the bandwidth

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com