Topband: RE: skewed paths

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RE: skewed paths
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 10:48:38 +0100
N0FP:

>I was always under the impression that the skewed paths were actually a
>backscatter situation.  What appears to be skewing is just a skip point out
>at sea, etc., along a path of good propagation.  What you hear is actually
>backscatter from that point, which appears SE, etc.
>
>The proof would be if it is a bi-directional path.

http://lists.contesting.com/_topband/2000-November/001490.html

        IMHO this was conclusively proven by A61AJ (K1ZM op) and N7UA
last November.  Both were using 4-squares and the best path was SE from
A61AJ after his sunset and SW from N7UA before his sunrise.  This is
what is commonly called long path and is extremely common from the West
Coast on the low bands.  In fact, it is more common on the low bands for
W6/7 than direct path before European/Asian sunrise.  There's an interesting
article on the Force12 Website about this path on 75/80 meters:

http://www.qth.com/force12/

Select "Pacific Coast Salty Dog Antenna Test" about half-way down the left
side of the page.

        You can find more comments on the A61AJ/N7UA tests in the list
archive for November and December 2000.

                                                  73,  Bill  W4ZV