Topband: shortened & low dipole for 160M--transmit/receive issues

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: shortened & low dipole for 160M--transmit/receive issues
From: kolson@erols.com (Kevin Olson)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 11:49:49 -0400
Joe said:

Gee Whiz. I guess my over 260 DXCC on 160 meters with only a dipole with
the apex never above 90 feet doesn't work for DX. I guess I'll quit now
while I'm ahead!

*Nice job! But 90 feet is MUCH higher than many guys can get an antenna, and
most guys don't have the advantage of being in New England with that great
shot
into DXCC country-rich Europe. So I think the original point is still good.
Given a
short mast (say 50 ft) you are generally better off configuring it as a
vertical or to
support a "L" (assuming you are able/willing to put down radials) than using
it to
hold up a dipole, shortened or not for DX.

Kevin