Topband: Localised propagation and 3D2

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Localised propagation and 3D2
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 07:06:24 +0800
G'day

An interesting example of localised propagation of 160m signals occurred
last night in VK6.

At around 1100Z, I received a call from Mike VK6HD, some 450 km south east
of me, to say the 3D2 was active on 1821.  The band seemed relatively
stable, as it was some thirty minutes or so after sunset here, but although
Mike could hear the 3D2 at 579, I could here no trace of the station's signal.

Quite often, I have learnt that if this happens, if I wait a period equal
to the difference in our sunset times (say, 10 - 15 minutes) the signal
will appear as if by magic out of the noise.  Last night, absolutely
nothing happened.

Eventually, one and three quarter hours later, I started to copy the 3D2,
calling CQ, at about 339 with heavy QSB. Just on the point when the signal
was good enough for relative solid copy and with another VK and a few USA
stations calling, the operator finally tired of the battle with QRN and
weak signals and seemed to go QSY/QRT...

Such is the 160m band...

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ