Topband: Shuntfeeding

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shuntfeeding
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:20:44 -0400
> It depends on the number of radials.  It has been found that as the
> spacing between the ends of equally-spaced radials becomes greater
> than about one meter, the advantage of making that long decreases
> rapidly. !20 radials, each 125 feet long, would have this spacing.
> This means that if there are only 32 radials, there's not much to be
> gained if they are made longer than about 35 feet each.

Actually .025 wavelength or so open-end spacing pretty much
makes it look like a solid sheet of copper electrically.

That falls reasonably well in line with three meters (it is actually
four meters) open end spacing on 160 meters, and the rest of the
advice is very good also.

Just make the radials as long, as straight, and as evenly spaced
as you can and use a large enough wire that it doesn't break.
That's all you need.

I use #16 solid bare copper wire, and it lasts for many many years.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com