Topband: re:Band plan

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: re:Band plan
From: kr4tg@mindspring.com (Mike Del Pozzo)
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:36:07 -0400
Hello all, I still vividly remember a night listening for
DX stations on 160. came across a few on 1855 khz chatting.
suddenly commotion nearby. A 9Y calling CQ on 1845, great!
I'd like to log him too. Pile up became huge quickly and the
9Y decided to listen up 5 - 10 kc. that's where it began. I
knew folks were already there in QSO, but it still amazed me
how many folks blindly called the DX station without even
checking to see if the freq. was clear. Shortly after I broke
in on the qso to inform them of the situation. I disagree with
the enforced band plan, but this is the result of some of the
worst operating skills I've ever witnessed. Perhapps we might
convince more DX stations to listen up. (yes, 160 is quite large)
and also perhapps we need to brush up on op skills prior to
learning where/when to grab mults. I truly hate to see what
is happening to Contesting.
de Mike
KR4TG