Topband: FCC and ARRL 160 Bandplan

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FCC and ARRL 160 Bandplan
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:29:24 +0100
AA4LR wrote:

>I think it is a grave mistake to look at the ARRL bandplan as having the
>force of regulation. As I read the FCC regulations, SSB operation is
>permitted from 1800-1843 kHz. So, emitting SSB signals in this spectrum
>is not, by itself, a violation of the FCC rules.

        I think it would be a grave mistake to ignore the bandplan unless
you enjoy corresponding with the FCC.  For those who may not like the idea
of mode segmentation on 160, you should get used to the idea of following
bandplans because I predict there will be no mode segmentation on any band
if current trends continue (no-code licensing and consequent growth in
demand for more SSB spectrum).  Following voluntary bandplans may become
more important on all bands as sunspots decline, no-code grows and we are
all forced into the existing spectrum.  Extrapolate ARRL's current direction
and it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what may be next (no
mode segmentation anywhere with voluntary bandplans becoming the rule is
my personal reading of their desired direction).

>The issue at hand that the FCC is enforcing is willful interference. Now,
>far be it for someone pushing the agenda that 1800-1843 is supposed to be
>CW-only to make claims of willful interference to those who happen to
>operate some SSB in this spectrum....

        This has been the issue since I have been on 160.  Some groups
have been incalcitrant and even vengeful (complete with recorded gun
threats).  If it were not for Hollingsworth's letters, they would be there
today.  Just because they "were there first" (which I doubt is true if
you go back in time far enough) does not give them the right to ignore
the bandplan.  If it were not for the recalcitrant few and for SSB contests
filling the entire band, the situation on 160 today would be perfectly
fine.  I'll repeat Hollingsworth's comments again for those who may have
missed them the first time:

Excerpt from Hollingsworth's letter to K3NM:

"Please be advised that Amateurs are responsible for taking steps to make
sure they do not interfere with ongoing communications, and contest
participants have no greater rights to any specific frequency than other
Amateurs."

Excerpt from Hollingsworth's letters to W5TZ, KT5S and WA4TWM:

"Band plans are voluntary in nature, but the Commission depends upon them
because they minimize the necessity for Commission resources to be used in
solving Amateur problems and they provide an opportunity for Amateurs to use
various modes of Communications.  Where interference results from band plans
not being followed, the Commission expects substantial justification to be
shown by the operators ignoring the band plans."

>That said, if you really want the bandplan to work -- and I think it
>could -- then there's a big education process that has to take place. DX
>stations have to listen above 1843 kHz -- both for US stations calling
>CQ, and US stations trying to answer their CQs.

        Of course it can work just as it does on 40 and 80.  And I doubt
that much more education is needed than the exposure this issue has already