Topband: Riley is Wrong

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Riley is Wrong
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 16:41:10 +0100
ex-KV4FZ wrote:
>Wasn't it said best by Thomas Jefferson long ago that "the least governed
are the best governed"?

W2pm@aol.com wrote:
>The Bandplans are great ideas and are considered "gentlemen's agreements".
Anyone violating should not be considered a gentle(wo)man and ostrizied by
their peers.

        I have to disagree with both of you on this.  You are making the
assumption that everyone is a "gentleman".  I have news for you...they are
NOT.  The 1823 group would still be there TODAY were it not for Riley's
enforcement letters.  They have been politely asked to move for at least
the past 17 years with no effect until his letter.  No amount of ostracizing
would have had any effect whatsoever on these folks...they are right and
everyone else is wrong in their mind.  When the prior ARRL bandplan was not
enforced by the FCC, they took take great delight in ignoring it.  In a way I
hope they do make a legal challenge to FCC actions because that would pave
the way for a true change in regulations which would not be subject to
debate.  I don't happen to want to waste $10K and my time to do it but I
sincerely hope someone will decide to do this so it will clear the air.

        I also am not an advocate of undue government intervention, but
government does have its place in enforcing regulations for the benefit of
all.  The absence of regulations and enforcement results in anarchy.  I
would not want to live in a world with no regulations and no enforcement...
unless you can afford your own army, I doubt that you would either.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV