Topband: Reactance and Resonance

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Reactance and Resonance
From: wpgerhold@longo-ind.com (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:37:41 -0500
My MFJ-259b antenna analyzer tells me my 132 foot
160 meter vertical's SWR is 1.4:1 at 1.890 mhz.
When tuning for "Resonance", (zero reactance),
the displayed frequency is 1.840mhz.  SWR at 1.840
mhz is 1.7:1.  I have 50 radials 1/4 wavelength
laying on the ground.

First of all, to all respondents, I understand that
SWR values of this small magnitude are not problems
in themselves and would not make a significant difference
in performance one way or the other and the antenna
is perfectly fine as is.

But, I have a few questions about these readings.

Does this information mean that I should lengthen my
vertical to coincide with the resonance point at
1.840 mhz?  Since my antenna is telescoping tubing,
this is not a problem physically.

Or, are these two parameters inter-related and
adjusting for one will change the value or position
of the other?  Will one value chase the other.  Is
this controllable without adding any external matching
components such as inductors or capacitors?

Thanks,
Bill
K2WH