Topband: Cabrillo & Excel

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Cabrillo & Excel
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 14:53:02 -0600
I submitted my Cabrillo log using the output from Logger.  Simply backup the
log using ADIF and use wordpad and excel to manipulate the information.  It
took me about an hour to massage the log into Cabrillo.  Hats off to the
compilers of the logs for Stew Perry and other contests.  Anything we can do
to assist the compilers contributes to everyone's enjoyment of contesting.

Procedure for logger and other programs
Backup log using ADIF format.  Load into wordpad (Word doesn't work--thanks
Bill Gates) and use the replace function to change the field delimiter to
commas.  Load into excel 97 and the load function will automatically
separate the fields as long as you select commas for field delimiters.
Change the font to courier (true-type does the proportional spacing thing
and is quite annoying when using text (thanks again Bill Gates).  Use the
Cabrillo Templates provided by the contest sponsor to massage the fields
(columns in Excel) into a format the robot will understand.  Save the excel
file in "formated text-space delimited" and check it in wordpad again.
That's it...

For Stew Perry, the Robot accepted my log first try.

Good luck and happy new year everybody.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com