Topband: Finally, S-0 noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Finally, S-0 noise
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:07:28 -0600
After years of complaining to the power company, tweaking my antennas, and
an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness, I have S-0 noise on topband.

Line men were out in force this week correcting a problem area running
through a swampy area near my QTH in Minnesota (the land of 10,000 lakes and
500,000 swamps).  I wanted to run out into the frozen swamp where they were
working and kiss their feet.  I can actually turn off the attenuator and not
see the S meter move (OK an occassional flicker).  Yippy skippy...

OK--the truth, at 2.4 kHz filter position it's still S7 but at least in CW
it is S-0.  I'm using an IC746 with 500 Hz filters at both 9MHz and 455kHz
IF positions.  I'm in a rural location about 3 miles from the nearest town.
Antenna is a shunt fed vertical (80' with a tribander & 2 meter beam on
top).  Is this considered normal noise floor for a rural location?

Just sharing my joy...

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com