Topband: 160 receiving loops

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 receiving loops
From: jmarkum@hot.rr.com (Jack Markum)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:34:24 -0600
Good morning,
    I am looking to build some sort of 160 meter receiving loop.  I have
seen the indoor and outdoor type.  Both appear to be essentially made from
RG-59 and a variable capacitor.  Does anyone have experience with these?  I
also read that a pre-amp will probably be necessary.  Any suggestions for a
moderately priced one there would be appreciated as well.  My current setup
is a Butternut HF9V vertical mounted at ground level with the 160 meter coil
added.  A loop would almost HAVE to add somewhat to the reception!  I am
realistic and know that I won't get DXCC with this arrangement--I just want
enough to have some fun and do a little experimentation.  Additionally, this
is not a permanent setup--I plan to put up a small tower in the next few
months, but would like to maximize my obsession for the time being!   Thanks
in advance,

Jack Markum  N5DUW
Killeen, Texas