Topband: Dipole Height

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Dipole Height
From: Billg@warwick.net (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:48:22 -0500
For the first time in about 2 years, I measured the
resonant frequency of my 160 meter dipole.  I was
surprised at the results but not completely.  When
I put the dipole up, I did not have an antenna analyzer
or EZNEC to perform any kind of analysis.  Anyway, the
antenna was cut according to formula, to a resonant
(supposedly) length for about 1.830mhz.  Unfortunately,
I could only raise the dipole to about 40 feet.  Way too
low for any real DX work.  However, upon measuring the
resonant frequency, I was very surprised to find it was
way below 1.750mhz beyond the capabilities of my MFJ
analyzer.

Question:

If my antenna was at 1/2 or 1 wavelength high, would the
resonant frequency for which it was cut become a reality?
The antenna is fed with ladder line right to the tuner,
no balun to coax.

Bill
K2WH