Topband: Polarisation and Power Coupling

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Polarisation and Power Coupling
From: zl3ix@inet.net.nz (Greg - ZL3IX)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:25:47 +1300

> How do we explain the results of VK3ZL and ZL3REX, and other
> VK's and ZL's over the years, who are neither over good soil nor
> near the ocean, and who also are south? Some of the biggest and
> most consistent signals over the years on 160 from VK and ZL
> have come from verticals, or antenna with significant vertical
> component.

There is not much doubt about vertical polarisation being better in ZL, Tom,
but Rex and I are about 10 deg further south than Steve.  Distance between
Steve and ZL is over 6 000 km, so the two can't really be lupmed together.

Also, having been past Rex's QTH, I doubt whether he would describe his soil
as poor.  Looked like pretty rich farmland to me, especially when it rains,
which it does often over there (Murchison, NZ).

73, Greg, ZL3IX