Topband: 160m band plan

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m band plan
From: Billg@warwick.net (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:24:11 -0500
Not so, and I'm a complaining digital op.

Many times CW ops on 160 will either totally ignore users
of other modes or, are completely ignorant of internationally
recognized frequencies (by gentlemen's agreement) modes such as
PSK31, MFSK16 and Hellschreiber.  Or, they just don't ask if the
frequency is in use.

Here is the new 160 meter band plan as published by ARRL.

1.800 - 1.810 Digital Modes
1.810 - CW QRP
1.800 - 2.000 CW
1.843 - 2.000 SSB, SSTV and other wideband modes
1.910 - SSB QRP
1.995 - 2.000 Experimental
1.999 - 2.000 Beacons

I have been chastised and interfered with for operating PSK31 between
1.805 and 1.810 even though, these and other digital modes are now
recognized
as legit in the 160 meter band plan.  No one is innocent here.

A strong CW signal in the pass band of a receiver will cause a marginal
digital
signal to vanish very quickly.  So, CW must share 1.800 - 1.810 with other
modes if we are going to adhere to the new band plan and not just for CW.

Thanks for listening.

K2WH