Topband: Re: Topband Digimodes

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Topband Digimodes
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:43:23 -0600
Tom illustrates a huge frustration with modern equipment....

> I can't understand why digimodes less than 100Hz wide have to
> use 2.1kHz filters. That just sets the system up for dynamic range
> problems. I get much better print on weak signals using a 500Hz
> filter, even in the total absence of QRM!
>

> 73, Tom W8JI

I use an ICOM IC746 and just love the radio.  However, when setting up the
filters menus, under SSB, there is no option to select the 500Hz filters,
even though I have two of them installed.  Under CW and RTTY, no problem.
Running PSK on SSB, it's a problem.  If somebody alot smarter than me can
figure this one out, I for one would greatly appreciate the effort.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com