Topband: Band plan on 160 during SSB contests

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Band plan on 160 during SSB contests
From: wally@el-soft.com (Valeri Stefanov)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:16:24 +0000
Hi topband contesters,

I fully support the suggestions made by John ON4UN.
Working split on 160m during the contest is a lost battle.
Signals are so weak sometimes and QSB so deep combined with short openings
at least here in most eatern end of Europe that it is a problem to get the
callsign, not speaking about the freq on which USA station for example is
listening.
My only addition will be that IMHO the band for EU should be extended from
1820 to at least 1870. Activity in Western EU has increased dramatically
during last ten years on top band and it is quite difficult to find a clear
spot to run sometimes.

This year was my last serious participation in CQ160m contest from LZ.
With current rules it is "causa perduta" from here now. The hordes of
Russians who were active in the contest in the past are gone and we can not
hear and work enough number low power- dipole guys from West EU, not
speaking about chances to work a big No. of USA stations from EU's "dark
hole" in this direction.
When time and money permit we'll try some M/S efforts from TA3-TA4 land in
the future. TA3 is great place to be - EU is reachable with a simple dipole
and gives you 10 points for each QSO.So, top ten placement is almost sure.

Well,that's all and I  hope to work you on 80m in SOSB WPX SSB in March and
from YM3LZ M/S in WPX CW in May.

73's de Wally LZ2CJ ( LZ8T & YM3LZ)