Topband: Rx Antenna Reality Check? :o)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Rx Antenna Reality Check? :o)
From: k3ky@erols.com (k3ky@erols.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 17:14:59 -0500
On 1 Mar 2002 at 16:02, Bernie McClenny, W3UR wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I think they call this beacon DXing.  In my opinion it is bad operating
> practice.

 I refuse to confirm to those kinds of operators
> that they made a good QSO.  Because deep down in my heart I realize
> that it was not a QSO.  For you see it takes two people to make a QSO.
>  The two who supposedly made the QSO.

Bernie-
If you read my post more carefully, you would realize that it was a
'good' QSO. I was hearing the DX most of the time. That is my
threshold for deciding whether to start calling or not. It took so long
because there were a lot of other ops who were not hearing so
well either. They kept calling over my transmissions so the DX
moved on. When I finally logged the contact, it was a 100 percent
genuine two way QSO. Not everybody is as well equipped on top
band as you are, Bernie. Have a little charity in your heart.
I believe we should be lavish in our praise and sparing in our
criticism of our fellow ops. You could have just as well emailed
me privately. I am sorry my operating style and capabilities
offend you. I will nonetheless continue on.
BTW, as I remarked in my original post, it was news to me that
I was already in his log. And yes, embarrassing. But the one QSO
I logged was very solid, Q5, and two way. I will have no problems
at all submitting that card for DXCC. I worked hard for it and I
earned it.   73, David K3KY