Topband: MFJ power line noise receiver or alternatives?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: MFJ power line noise receiver or alternatives?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:13:29 +0000
At 03:41 AM 3/11/02 +0000, Bill Tippett wrote:
>N6RK wrote:
>>I am wondering if anyone has used the MFJ power line noise receiver
>>that came out last year.
>
>        Funny you should mention that since I just bought a MFJ-852
>at the Charlotte Hamfest.  Price was $85 before taxes.  I've been
>having some noise problems recently and decided I needed to try one
>of these.  This afternoon I used it a bit and it seemed to work
>quite well, although occasionally I would get a burst from a pilot.
>The RX is somewhere in the 135 MHz band for Air Traffic Control
>but the MFJ-852 is a very cost effective way to get an AM receiver
>in the VHF area which is perfect for locating power line leaks.

Why wouldn't it be even more cost-effective to buy something like the Icom
IC-Q7A dual band handi-talkie, with 78-330 MHz AM receive capability built
in?  AES advertised this tiny little thing in February QST for $124.99.
Fed by a homebrew yagi or Moxon rectangle, it looks like a dandy solution
to the problem, plus dual-band transmit capability.  Or is there something
I'm missing?

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at