Topband: Source of Vactrol device for K9AY loop

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Source of Vactrol device for K9AY loop
From: lremigio@commsearch.com (Lionel Remigio)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:39:06 +0000
Best source for Vactrols is www.bgmicro.com  800-276-2206 ( 2 Vactrols for
$1.00) and no minimun order but...$7.50 minimum shipping and handling...

They have the VTL5C2  ( the correct one with the resistance needed for a
reliable K9AY( as far as I know Floyd..this is why you are not getting
results from your antenna because the Vactrol you are using is too low in
resistance ( 75 to 1.2 K) to achieve good results. and the VTL5C2 is the
correct one going from 200 Ohms  to 5.5k ohms

K9AY loops come from factory with pre-settings of 560, 1500 and 2700 Ohmz
and the VTL5C2 is the perfect Vactrol covering these full values and more
thru 5.5k.
The 5C4 is too low in resistance to reach a perfect value and no good nulls
could be obtained. At least in my tests I can get a decent null with the 5C2
versus the 5C5 giving me the perfect solution.

Lionel Remigio, KC4CLD
President
Communications Research Group, Inc
www.commsearch.com