Topband: Tunable External Preselector for better Beverage S/N?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Tunable External Preselector for better Beverage S/N?
From: k1jj@snet.net (Tom Cathey)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:47:23 -0500
Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine suggested that I consider a tunable active (or passive) =
preselector to improve S/N on my broadband, toroidal fed 1500' =
terminated beverage.

I use an FT-1000D with diversity receive using the two receivers, two =
antennas.

* His thinking was that the beverage and FT-1000D front end are both =
broad band devices so they will let in additional noise from above and =
below the desired 160M narrow band operating range.=20

Has anyone an opinion or experience with using a preselector for =
filtering out this noise via a bandpass filter like this on 160M?=20

What kind of S/N improvement can be had, if any? If it's worthwhile, any =
suggestions for a unit with some gain commercial or homebrew (to also =
make up for the beverage loss) are appreciated! =20

Thanks!

73,  Tom - K1JJ
CT

multipart/alternative