Topband: Band Condx Fri. in MN

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Band Condx Fri. in MN
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com (JBaumgarte@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:43:05 EST
Not having any receiving antennas, I have patiently plucked any enhanced
conditions for about  110 countries in the past 6-7 years.  The one constant
has always been--"If I can hear it, I can work it!"   This has been a
difficult year for polar path work--no EU or JA until last Thursday with
finally a G contact.  Friday night (local day)all the rules changed at around
04Z.  I was listening to XR0X calling CQ--had worked him a few days earlier,
when started hearing literally dozens of EU stations calling him--many very
good copy.  Tuned around a bit and found Luis, IV3PRK calling CQ at a solid
589--probably the loudest EU signal I have ever heard.  Expected a crush of
callers, but only 3 called--W1TO, W0RI, and me.  AFter several calls (by us),
he came back and CQ'd in our faces!  Finally got a K0?, but no qso.  Knowing
that Luis is surely one of the world's top 160M ops, these had to be some
real strange condx.  Also heard EA3JE, even louder, still trying his QSX on
20 meter deal.  Too bad he wasn't listening on 160!  Ended up with zero
qso's--figured if Luis couldn't hear me, no one else would either.  Time to
catch up on some sleep!  Anyone else experience the same?

73
John, N0IJ
Duluth, Minnesota