Topband: Hy-Gain Hy-Tower for 160M

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Hy-Gain Hy-Tower for 160M
From: gmguerin@voyager.net (George & Marijke Guerin)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:31:15 +0100
Dear Greg, et. al.
    I would appreciate further description of the 160 inverted L kit for the
HyGain (MFJ) Hy-Tower.  Is one to run the wire from the 24 foot connection
point as high up vertically as possible, and then out?  Or what?
    This is totally different from the loading coil on the bottom of the
antenna in the old HyGain version.  It is also different from the
"aftermarket" article I once saw about a revised mast for 80 meters and a
trap off the top of the 80 meter section which connected to the horizontal
inverted L wire.
    To paraphrase ON4UN's Low Band Handbook, put down lots of radials, 30
minimum, 60 or more preferred, and make them at least 66 feet (20 meters)
long, in all directions, if possible.   If you can put down more than 60
radials, then make them about 1/4 wave, 130 ft each.
    73        George,    K8GG