Topband: Beverage frustrations - corrosion of contacts

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage frustrations - corrosion of contacts
From: NX4D@mpinet.net (Doug Waller)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:22:10 -0400
" If you are really looking for perfect dry housing, use a housing with
several athmosphere high overpressure. I mean the really high pressure in
the enclosure will stop any building of moisture... then you can use N2-gas
instead of simple air..."

I don't know why we hams can't have an economical low-pressure dry air
system to protect coax & outdoor equipment boxes.  The telephone companies
have used pressurized dry air for years to protect their cables & remote
equipment from moisture.  It is well known that the cold rain quickly cools
outdoor cables & enclosures, contracting the internal air, the vacuum of
which then sucks water in through any pinhole opening.  All PVC cable
sheaths have numerous pinholes in them.

A small air pump, desiccant chamber & plastic delivery tubes (coax works
fine) would channel a few psi of dried air to our total outdoor systems.
Changing out UHF connectors for N connectors would be the final touch, to
minimize leakage.  The pump would run intermittently a few times a day or a
week to keep pressure within limits.

Here in Florida, water somehow gets in all my coaxes & ruins them,
regardless of coax seal & rain shields  If the water intrusion problem could
be remedied, then I would have more time to work on stuff damaged by
lightning.  And a lightning charge detector could static charge a tower or
wire antenna with the same charge as the lightning,  probably preventing the
strikes...............anudder "free lunch" thought.......

73, OM Doug / NX4D