Topband: QRP DX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: QRP DX
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 02:58:00 +0100
Hi Riccardo,

Several years ago, there was a good opening between Southern California
and Europe on 160 meters. Robin, WA6CDR was operating from Mt.
Wilson (5000 feet above sea level) and was able to complete several
contacts with Western European stations while running just 5 watts to a
sloping dipole hung from a 270' tower. Tom, W8JI in rural Georgia, USA
has also completed a contact with Peter, 9V1PC in Singapore when Peter
was running just 5 watts. Don, KH6DX/m is close to completing 160 meter
DXCC from his pickup truck, but he runs a KW. I don't know if anyone
has made DXCC using 5 watts on 160. I think it is possible (especially from
Europe), but you will need a very efficient transmit antenna help make up
for
the 25dB QRP vs QRO handicap.

Before moving to California, I had about 50 countries worked with
100 watts and very simple antennas (50' shunt fed tower and 50' high "T"
antenna). You should be able to close at least part of that 13dB gap by
concentrating on efficiency (lots of ground radials). You will also need
to be patient. 160 can produce some incredible openings (S9+20dB
signals between USA and Europe), but these are rare, so you'll need
to keep on eye on the packet cluster and spend lots of time listening.
Being at the right place at the right time is half the battle.

Good luck!