Topband: Touch Lamp

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Touch Lamp
From: zl3ix@inet.net.nz (Greg - ZL3IX)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:32:06 +1200
Hi Guys,

I have a particular problem that some of you may be able to help with.  =
As I have mentioned to one or two of you in personal e-mails, the reason =
why I have been rather quiet on Topband is neighbour related.  I have a =
neighbour who has a touch lamp of which he is particularly fond.  You =
may have seen the type - you touch the base and it comes on with a dull =
glow, with further touches increases its brightness, and finally =
switches off.

The mechanism is probably that it picks up stray fields at line rate =
from the person touching the base.  Of course, when I transmit, anywhere =
from Topband through to 20m, the thing comes on by itself, usually in =
the middle of the night if I am on Topband.

While I am fully aware that this is not my problem, and have been =
supported by the local authorities in this attitude, in the interests of =
good neighbourliness, I would like to find a solution if possible.  I =
have tried the usual ferrite toroid tricks on the line feed, but to no =
avail.  I guess the problem is in the capacitive pad itself.  The =
electronic block is sealed, so I can't gain access to place caps across =
active devices.

Does anyone know of either, an add-on solution to this type of problem =
or, a similar type of lamp with an EMC rating that covers Topband =
E-fields?  I am prepared to buy a new lamp to give my neighbour as a =
gesture of good will, but must of course be careful about any safety =
aspects if I undertake any modifications myself.

73, Greg, ZL3IX

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---