Topband: can I use fence sections for a Four Square Array ground screen?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: can I use fence sections for a Four Square Array ground screen?
From: Bill@aa6tt.com (William Hein, AA6TT)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:56:45 -0700 (PDT)
I am getting ready to (finally) finish my 160m 4-square array and
also build a companion 80m model (using the just-introduced Array
Solutions self-supporting 80m verticals).

Hearing about the KC1XX (and other) array and its mix of elevated
radials and a ground screen has convinced me to give it a try.

I'm not especially keen to spend a week on my knees soldering
wires in a grid and then burying the wires to keep them away from
field mowers and animals.  Is there any reason I can't just lay
out heavy duty rolled wire fence sections on the ground under and
around my 4 towers?

Will galvanized steel fence work?  Will I need to bond the
different rolls of fence sections together?  Or is there a
commercial wire mesh I should use?  It would be fairly EZ to lay
out the fence sections and then push some dirt over the whole
thing with a small tractor.

73,
Bill AA6TT

William H. Hein, AA6TT