Topband: Compact 160m helical vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Compact 160m helical vertical
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:36:57 +0800
5H3RK said:

>My QTH is down town Dar es Salaam, albeit right on the Indian Ocean.
>However, I can only use my (metal) roof for my TX antennas. On Top I use an
>"helical whip". Roughly 1/2 lambda wire wound on an 8-9 m fibre glass mast
>and with the metal roof as ground. At the moment the RX antennas are 2- K9AY
>(one on NA/EU the other JA) down on the beach with a KD9SV preamp and a
>dipole/inverted v across the house.  The HF rig is an IC- 751A with an AL80A
>linear.

VK6VZ said:

For those with a small amount of space who would like to try a similar
25'-long 160m quarter wave helical antenna to that used by 5H3RK, I have
prepared a .jpg file that shows how to construct such an antenna.  The
design dates back to the 1960s and if the signal level produced by Ralph is
anything to go by, the efficiency of it should be reasonable.

Those who wish to construct the antenna should e-mail me direct and I will
send them the file.  Note that I have never tried the design - it is just
something in my 160m scrapbook.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ