Topband: Radial discussion

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Radial discussion
From: kr9u@arrl.net (James Wolf)
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 20:33:02 -0500
Many years ago after I moved, I installed radials on top the ground
under my tower using normal #20 insulated wire.
Later I used the same wire for a invisible dog fence.
About four years later, the dog fence stopped working.  I found the spot
and fixed it, but after that I couldn't keep up.
What was happening was that the insulation on the wire had gotten hard,
discolored and was cracking after being subjected to the elements.  Of
course one can imagine that the radial system suffered the same fate.

I installed a new radial system using teflon insulted wire. Look for it
surplus.
I don't know of a better insulation than this.

--- Origional message ---
Rudy Severns wrote:

>>>I had considered using aluminum wire for cost reasons and did some
experiments. A couple of years ago I buried samples of wire and also
just laid some on the ground surface which is grass covered. After two
years the surface wire is fine but the buried stuff is beginning to show
some signs of deterioration, not fatal but not good for the long term.
James Wolf, KR9U

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---