Topband: Radials around house

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Radials around house
From: dz@VOA.GOV (Richard Zwirko)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:24:40 -0400 (EDT)
Marty, N9SE wrote:

> Subject: Topband: Radials around house
>
> I have really enjoyed scanning the numerous posts regarding radials. I have
> been
> unable to find any comments on this subject, however. I am preparing to
> shunt-feed my '72 Trylon tower in my back yard. The tower is 70' from the
> house.
> I plan to install radials, using the information I gleaned from all the
> previous
> posts, however, I am unsure what to do with the area of my property that is
> occupied by my house. Should I simply route radials around the perimeter of
> the
> house and expand them back out in the front yard, or should I somehow pass
> them
> through the area of the house? I could do this by either entering the throught
> the wall, into the basement and out the other side of the house or by running
> radials up the outside of the house, over the roof, and back down the other
> side.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Regards,
>
> Marty Ray
> N9SE
= = =
Marty,
  I'm shunt feeding a 78' Rohn #25 about 20 feet behind the house.
Because of the small 1/3 acre lot, 15 of the radials are short
(1/8 wave) plus a two long (almost 1/4 wave) ones. These curve around
either side of the house. I might try K2WH's idea of attaching to the
back water fawcet at the back and contining through the house copper pipe
and then out the front fawcet and throught the front lawn towards the
sidewalk. There is really no way to know how much these curved longer
radials are contributing to my shunt fed tower but I have no complaint
as to its performance. With 100W the Topband DXCC total stands at 184,
and 75 worked with QRP 5W, the best QRP DX being VK6HD....twice!
Hope your shunt fed tower works as well at the K1HTV one does.

73 de Rich - K1HTV
dz@voa.gov