Topband: Zip cord receive antenna.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Zip cord receive antenna.
From: w3pt <w3pt@itech.net> (w3pt)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 13:05:33
I have no experience with 160 meter antennas other than my B&W folded dipole in
an inverted-vee fashion. I am presently gathering the pieces to shunt feed my
tower. I was told by a local that there is an antenna I should try for
receiving on my small city lot. He described it as 200feet of lamp cord 18ga
with a 200 ohm resistor on one end and a 300 ohm to 75 ohm tv balun on the
other. Where can I find more information on this?

I will have to run this receive antenna across the tops of a hedge and circle
my 70 X 100 foot lot. What is optimal height above ground? Is the length
critical? Will I need a preamp?

Thanks,
Bob, W3PT