Topband: full moon a factor ?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: full moon a factor ?
From: df2py@t-online.de (DF2PY)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 06:47:13 +0200
Hi Reflectees !
The statement was made on the reflector that a full moon does influence the
propagation on topband eventually.I am not a physicist by profession but it
seems to me that there are a few things up against it.
First,the amount of reflected radiation is pretty low to what the direct solar
radiation is.
Second,the part of the electromagnetic spectrum that contributes most to
ionization is the Gamma rays. they will not be reflected to any major amount
from the moons surface and the few that are, will no longer be coherent but
will
be kind of scattered. The reason why Gamma rays are almost coherent here is
their long journey across about 8 lightminutes that sorts out almost all
others.But as i stated before, the majority of Gamma rays is going to be
absorbed by the moons surface and being dissipated into heat by
radiation-particle counteraction. Last but not least,the question of the
reflection of particles like neutral Hydrogen atoms or charged Alpha-particles
by the moons surface and their journey back into our magnetosphere is very much
out of probability.
73 and a nice weekend to everyone               de wolf - df2py -