Topband: Electric Fence QRM

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Electric Fence QRM
From: kr9u@arrl.net (James Wolf)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 23:05:19 -0500
Pete,

I deal with electric fence problems a lot as I have about 4 horse farms
within 1/4 mile.
The only electric fences that I have run across are pulsed at approx 1
pulse per second.
The usual problems are weeds getting into the hot wire, and poor
installation techniques.
I have one that is 60 ft from my shunt fed tower and I do not hear it if
it is working ok.

If it is a buzz as you describe, then you might be on the wrong track.
But to answer your question, I can hear a 1/4 inch arc from a fence at
least 1/2 mile when listening on the shunt fed tower. If the fence setup
is just right, I would be willing to bet you could hear it much further.

Jim, KR9U