Topband: Sharing radials?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Sharing radials?
From: Brian Campbell" <VY2MGY@sympatico.ca (Brian Campbell)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 18:53:15 -0500
Hi all

I have a 55' T top vertical with 104 1/4 wave radials that plays very =
well.
The RF pattern for this antenna has the classic doughnut shape and as=20
such has a deep null [ at least in theory ] at the top, looking straight =
up.

What I want to do is provide some high angle RF for close in QSO's where
NVIS [ Near Vertical Incident Skywave ] is the best way to go. So I put =
up=20
a 133' 1/4 inverted L, with @ 40' vertical and 93' horizontal today.

I ran both feeds through a Diawa Coax Selector [ 2 SO239's on one end =
and=20
1 SO239 on the other with a selector switch in the middle ] and shorted =
out the=20
outer rings of the SO239's that are touching the braids of both RG58U =
cables, which are, on both
antennas, now connected to the 104 radials. It loaded fine on both but =
is this a=20
good thing to do? Am I getting the benifit of the radial system for both =
antennas?
I will be doing tests but I need the experts opinion. I don't remember =
reading about
this anywhere which is in itself not a good sign.....

All assistance greatfully accepted!

73 de Brian VY2MGY/VE3

  =20
  =20