Topband: NORD and UG top loaded antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: NORD and UG top loaded antennas
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 11:36:45 -0500
> I have the US patents on the NORD vlf antenna and also some suggested
> design info for the NORD and UG antennas on 80/160 (from the Vertical
> Antenna Handbook)

Hi John,

They issue patents for anything, including things that never actually
work as claimed.

I looked at my Vertical Handbook, and I have to say the section on
small antennas was the first disappointing thing I ever noticed in
"The Vertical Antenna Handbook".

The truth is really very simple. With a given physical area, the ONLY
way to maximize efficiency is to make current as large and uniform as
possible over the maximum available (vertical) distance. You do NOT
want to fold the antenna back on itself. You do not want to use
linear loading.

To maximize performance, the only solution is to end-load the antenna
with a large hat or some other form of termination that does NOT
return to earth. Multiple drops do not help, and certainly multiple
drops with multiple capacitors won't help!

The only thing fancy shunt tuning or multiple drop wire stuff does is
make the feedline see a new impedance. And you could do the same
thing with less loss with a simple coil, matching system,  or
impedance transformer.

The way we improve efficiency and reduce loss is with a top-loading
hat. If the hat is large enough to dwarf the distributed capacitance
of the vertical, we can place a high-Q loading coil anyplace in the
vertical and efficiency will remain essentially unchanged. As the hat
is smaller, coil placement becomes more critical.

If we replace the coil with linear loading, efficiency will never
improve and in fact almost always is reduced. Linear loading is a
marketing tool to sell antennas, not a solid design concept.

A linear loading stub of reasonably large copper wire providing 200
ohms of inductive reactance has a Q of somewhere around 50-100. I can
wind a coil on an old cereal box and have Q's higher than that, which
means it would also have less loss!

So here is what you do.

Put in as many straight radials as you possibly can, bend them as
little as possible. Tie in fences, pipes, heating ducts, or anything
else you can connect to with the ground system. Spend the bulk of
your time and energy creating the most solid electrical mass you can
in the area you have to work with.

Use as much vertical section as you can. Install the largest ground
system you can manage. Either use a mast with a very large hat on
top, a T, or an Inverted L and make up any additional loading with a
good air-insulated inductor with proper turns spacing as high up in
the vertical section as you can manage.

Match the feedline at the base with a shunt coil, and play with the
ratio of turns in the loading and shunt coil until you are happy with
the SWR.

Once you do this simple basic recipe, there is nothing else that can
be done that will ever be any better in the same small area.    73,
Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com