Topband: ARRL 160m Contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL 160m Contest
From: phil.catterall" <phil.catterall@ntlworld.com (phil.catterall)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:39:19 -0000
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>snip

Topband: Ref: Neophyte questions

I was surprised during the ARRL 160 contest not to hear many DX
stations.  Heck, I didn't even hear other people working DX from the
mid-Atlantic states.  Was there a real shortage this time?  Also, isn't
there supposed to be a DX window?  Darned if I could find even 3 contiguous
KHz that didn't have someone Stateside CQing.

73, Pete N4ZR

Hi Pete

I was QRV for 45 mins on the Friday night 2315z-0000z and worked 10 USA/VE
stations. Best DX in that session was K9DX (IL).

I set my alarm clock on Sunday morning for 0515z (Having slept in on the
Saturday morning until 0800z - too late!). So on the Sunday between 0527z
and 0802z I worked 26 more. Best DX in this session was K0HA (NE) and N5TW
(STX). The strongest station over here in North East England was of course,
VY2ZM. USA wise W2GD and KC1XX seemed to be the strongest and most
consistent. I spent my time searching for stations - I didn't get a single
QSO from a CQ call. I can't comment on conditions outside of the times
mentioned.

73 Phil Catterall G4OBK