Topband: DU9/N0NM

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DU9/N0NM
From: otterstad@enter.vg (Ragnar Otterstad)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:46:11 +0100
I feel this could be of interest to all topbanders trying to work DU these
days .Perhaps somebody has a bright idea for Jon ?

73  Rag LA5HE

 Subject: Re: SWL reprt

Rag:

Thanks for your continued reports. You can imagine how frustrated I am not
to be able to log all of Europe.  I could tell many many signals were in
there and even copies parts of calls but I just could not resolve them.
OZ1DD poped up out of the noise and I copied the DD first and then the OZ1
and that is all the time I had to be able to work him, copied something of a
report but not enough, but it is a good QSO. My pennants are particularly
noisy these days.  This AM I tried a different preamp that W8UVZ sent but it
was no different than my Ameco PT preamp.  I ended up listening on the
Inverted L which gave a higher S/N ratio.  W9UCW sent a bandpass filter that
knocks out the much of the BC interference.  But the line noise gets bad
when the wind blows and to clean up the power grid in this town would be to
have to deal with every connection, every wire on the power grid. In the end
I think that tropical atmosphereic noise is a main contributer to my
deafness.

I am open to any kinds of suggestions or help.  I know with one low noise
day I could log 50 stations per morning in that half hour window. If some of
the EU ops are frustrated enough with my RX situation they could send me an
ANC-4 or the MFJ noise canceler or some kind of low noise receiving antenna
or even low noise loop plans or something. So anything I try has to be
within my lot. I am unable to get any torroid cores here so anything antenna
wise has to be made from local materials.  I have a 70X90 foot lot and have
two pennants up. If I were to try to string a beverage across the vacant lot
next door the wire would go missing in a day, cut by the metal scavangers!

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---