Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein KØHA)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:12:17 -0600
> * The reason for poor propagation conditions on 160 especially on high
> latitude paths the past 5 days is due to background x-ray flux levels C1 or
> higher.
>
> 12/14- C1.1
> 12/15- C1.1
> 12/16- C1.4
> 12/17- C1.3
> 12/18- C1.1

While not an extraordinary day, I felt that December 16th was a better
than average day for propagation to Europe.  There seemed to be a
lack of activity then.  9A2AJ appeared to be the most active on that day.
I worked him at 0409z from here in Nebraska.  I copied him CQing
for quite a while after that.  He never got any stronger after I first
heard him--no European sunrise peak.  That's been common on days
with higher solar activity.  Also worked on the 16th were the regulars
DF2PY, SM4CAN, IT9ZGY, EA6ACC, G3PQA, G3JMJ, and
GW3JXN.  While it wasn't a day where the barefoot Europeans with
simple antennas were easy copy, it was far from a dead day here...

73,  Bill     K0HA