Topband: Amp Stability

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Amp Stability
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 11:18:03 -0500
> On another subject. Tom, W8JI, would a resistive shunt solve some of
> these amplifier stability problems? On a Ten Tec 30 meter QRP rig I
> installed a 150 ohm resistor across the antenna terminals to stop an
> oscillation around 8 MHz. The resistor value could have been much
> higher but I wanted lots of margin and am willing to burn a couple of
> dB of signal during casual QRP operation.

The problem is no one wants to burn a couple dB at 500-1500 watts,
and even if you did where would you put the heat??

On VHF amps I use diplexers (as are also used for mixers). It is
always possible to use a diplexer, but just keeping the impedance low
also works in many cases.

I'll eventually put something up in great detail, after I collect
more info on the problems people had in the SP.

 73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com