Topband: beverage heading

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: beverage heading
From: df2py@t-online.de (DF2PY)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:57:54 +0100
hi reflectees !
Larry(W7IUV) asked about heading of rx antennas etc.
Experience from EU says : Heading antennas into auroral zone is useless.
I have one beverage pointed 15 degrees West of North. Even on westcoast and KH6
sigs it is much worse than the  325 degree antenna ( same length ). On no dx
station i had an advantage on this antenna.
Sometimes i have considerably better receiving on a straight west pointing
antenna. That resembles "skewed" path conditions.That seems to be the case on
many bad days for transatlantic prop.
I guess a heading for EU should aim about 10 south of the virtual edge of
auroral activity. Maybe the Utah group ( N7JW/K7CA ) can tell more as they can
steer the TX and RX array in smaller increments than the most of us.
Today only KV4FZ made it into central EU on topband.
73 de wolf