Topband: Skew

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Skew
From: Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:28:19 -0500
> At last...a theory that makes sense, but seriously, I have also seen

What was that?

> numerous times in the past 13 years (since I have had beverages) that a
> signal would be nearly the same on any of my receive antennas.  On the
other
> hand, there are times when even very strong signals could be heard on only
> one antenna and completely gone on all the others

That really is normal. There are even times off-sunrise when signals scatter
in from multiple directions and angles.

Short-lasting peaks when the path is a tough one or marginal are also
normal.

Around sunrise everything is unpredictable. Low dipoles, high dipoles,
verticals...anything or everything can work or not work...but as a general
rule on the peak every antenna moves closer together for overall
performance. Sunrise is the big equalizer for small antennas and big ones,
where the performance differences shrink. Lot's of DXCC's have been made
just with SR or SS QSO's and low dipole antennas.

That's probably why we see so many opinions, the time frame of operation
makes a difference.

73 Tom