Topband: Is There A Post Sunrise Peak?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Is There A Post Sunrise Peak?
From: NX4D@comcast.net (Doug Waller)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:58:09 -0500
Subject: Re: Topband: Is There A Post Sunrise Peak?

> I've never noticed a post sunrise peak nor any sunset peak, post or
> otherwise, but I certainly have experienced sunrise peaks and can confirm
> that they exist.
> 73, de Earl, K6SE

While sunrise peaks are common here in central Florida, they die quickly and
the band quietens & dies for the day.

On the morning of Jan. 14, I had sunrise at 0718 EST, noticed no sunrise
peaking sigs, and the band quietened for the day.  I usually turn the rig
off at that time, but this time I had become interested in some topband
posts and left everything on.  To my surprise, I started to hear a very weak
station sending CQ.  The time was now 0730, well into daylight.  As the CQ's
continued, the signal began to peak.  It was HL3IUA on 1823.9 !!

As I returned his call with a nervous fist, he started his CQ again, never
hearing me.  In just a minute or so, he was gone.  I will never turn the rig
off at sunrise again.

With post sunrise peaks, and smart RF that dodges high attenuation areas,
it's no wonder they call this the Magic Band, hi!

73, Doug / NX4D