Topband: FT1000 MK V

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FT1000 MK V
From: Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:28:17 -0500
Someone might forward this to an MP reflector if there is one for the MK V.

I'm playing with a new MK V, and just finishing a page on mods.

It has not only the same nasty keyclicks of a stock MP, it has the noise
blanker problem of the FT1000(D) that hurts IM performance of close signals
when the noise blanker is OFF. Two 6kHz spaced test signals only
30-over-nine create severe IM products!!

This noise blanker problem appears to be the entire reason the MK V tests
poorer than a stock MP in close-spaced IM3 testing in test reports, because
IM3 gets about 10dB better when I disable the NB amplifier manually (it
stays on with full gain when the blanker is off).

As soon as I have complete mods and measurements, I'll post the URL here.

73 Tom